Should You Worry About EPA & DHA on a Raw Food Diet?

In this Fit On Raw video, I talked about omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids and how to achieve a healthy ratio between the two. But what about the long-chain fatty acids EPA and DHA? Everybody knows that you can only get these from fatty fish and eggs, right?

Check out the video below for the reasons why I don’t worry about EPA or DHA eating a raw vegan diet.

Should You Worry About EPA & DHA on a Raw Food Diet?

Your Thoughts?

What’s your take on the omega 3/EPA/DHA issue? Do you worry about it? Do you supplement for it? Do you not think twice about it?

Leave your comments below! :)

Go raw and be fit,

P.S. Looking for raw food recipes that won’t throw your omega 6-omega 3 ratio out of whack? Check out my health and delicious raw recipes e-book:

“Low Fat, Fruit Filled, High Fun Raw Recipes”

Delicious and Healthy Raw Vegan Favorites for Every Meal

www.fitonraw.com/low-fat-raw-vegan-favorites

To learn more about this e-book and order your copy, click below:

==> www.fitonraw.com/low-fat-raw-vegan-favorites

1 sammay30 { 02.08.12 at 12:18 am }

[..YouTube..] Thank you for making everything so uncomplicated!

2 sammay30 { 02.08.12 at 12:18 am }

Thank you for making everything so uncomplicated!

3 FitOnRaw { 02.08.12 at 7:47 am }

[..YouTube..] @sammay30 No prob! :)

4 FitOnRaw { 02.08.12 at 7:47 am }

[..YouTube..] No prob! :)

5 FitOnRaw { 02.08.12 at 7:47 am }

No prob! :)

6 margot { 02.08.12 at 5:31 am }

Thank you so much. (And today’s look is your best ever… the color and cut of the blouse, hair style, make-up ) ^-^…. you’re a lovely example of what you discuss; keep doing ^-^

Wow, thank you! No make-up thought, other than lip balm. :)

7 michelle { 02.08.12 at 5:51 am }

Love all the info – thanks Swayze. Much appreciated.

You’re very welcome, glad you like it. :)

8 Karen { 02.08.12 at 6:16 am }

I thought my education in the raw nutrion movement was pretty swell. Not compared to yours! Wow! You certainly do your homework and it is enriching all of us.

Thank You!

P.S. I have 2 cats and know exactly what you mean. LOL

Thanks, Karen!

9 Karen { 02.08.12 at 9:06 am }

Swayze, I am so glad that you don’t wear make up. I’m certain also you use only the basic of basic healthy ingredients for your hair and body.

I am a 50 year old woman and feel 20! I have pioneered the no-makeup for women here in Boise, Idaho. There are times I do think it is appropriate. But, what better way to prove that raw works, than not to cover up our face.

Agreed! Plus, I’m lazy. Dressing up and fixing my face takes too much time and effort. :)

10 dark0harlequin { 02.08.12 at 4:55 pm }

[..YouTube..] Sorry I was just wondering about some seeds that were high in omega 3′s you keep mentioning that I didn’t quite understand what they were – were you saying “cheese seeds”?Thanks !

11 dark0harlequin { 02.08.12 at 4:55 pm }

12 Pankaj { 02.08.12 at 1:16 pm }

From what I read on the net, EPA and DHA are not required to be consumed for a normal healthy life. However, if you want to burn fat faster than normal, gain lean muscle mass faster than normal, heal injuries faster than normal, and maintain cognitive skills into old age longer than normal, then I think a large direct consumption of EPA and DHA may help with these goals.

EPA & DHA have only been strongly linked to reducing high blood pressure, reducing triglycerides, and reducing risk for heart attack and stroke. The evidence isn’t great (or there’s just little of it) for many of the other claims thrown around on the web. Plus, a large consumption of omega 3′s is not recommended.

13 FitOnRaw { 02.08.12 at 6:21 pm }

[..YouTube..] @dark0harlequin Chia seeds. Sorry about that!

14 FitOnRaw { 02.08.12 at 6:21 pm }

[..YouTube..] Chia seeds. Sorry about that!

15 FitOnRaw { 02.08.12 at 6:21 pm }

Chia seeds. Sorry about that!

16 Pankaj { 02.08.12 at 1:22 pm }

The video was informative and came as a relief to me, now knowing that I need not consume as much fish oil gels.

Swayze, it would be even better if there was an assurance regarding how much of the 4 grams of ALA per day would be converted to DHA for men at a minimum.

Thanks

Sorry Pankaj, but I can’t answer that for you.

17 Paul Cohen { 02.08.12 at 4:54 pm }

Have you seen this?

Since they sell fish, it’s actually to their disadvantage to make this information known- so it must be true.

“But there’s always been a bit of disconnect between the clinical findings and the fact that many highly intelligent and accomplished people grew up on and consume adult diets lacking or very low in fish or fish oil.”

I rarely ate fish (other than the occasional fried catfish or “popcorn shrimp”) and I’ve never taken a fish oil capsule. I wouldn’t say I’m “highly intelligent and accomplished”, but I did graduate with a 3.8 GPA. :)

18 dark0harlequin { 02.09.12 at 2:38 am }

[..YouTube..] @FitOnRaw Thanks!

19 dark0harlequin { 02.09.12 at 2:38 am }

[..YouTube..] Thanks!

20 dark0harlequin { 02.09.12 at 2:38 am }

Thanks!

21 natureasintended { 02.09.12 at 4:51 am }

[..YouTube..] Wonderful, thank you :)I feel pretty sure I’m consuming enough fats with fruit and greens because my hair is shiny. When I don’t consume as many greens, the ends of my hair become slightly dry. I will request a test to be sure.You did really well to re-gain your focus on the science after your interruption :)

22 natureasintended { 02.09.12 at 4:51 am }

23 FitOnRaw { 02.09.12 at 7:33 am }

[..YouTube..] @natureasintended Haha, thanks. I guess I’m pretty used to it. The way he (Sniff, my eldest cat) loudly bounds around the house, I swear you’d think he was this giant crazy kitten. In truth, he’s only 10 pounds and will be 15 this spring!

24 FitOnRaw { 02.09.12 at 7:33 am }

[..YouTube..] Haha, thanks. I guess I’m pretty used to it. The way he (Sniff, my eldest cat) loudly bounds around the house, I swear you’d think he was this giant crazy kitten. In truth, he’s only 10 pounds and will be 15 this spring!

25 FitOnRaw { 02.09.12 at 7:33 am }

26 FitOnRaw { 02.09.12 at 7:33 am }

27 Ladislav Jonas { 02.13.12 at 1:48 am }

I don’t worry too much about what science says,if you follow the link there’s usually some kind of personal interest(money) behind it!If scores of people including athletes and even bodybuilders have successfully followed this diet for years and even decades whithout any problems that’s good enough proof for me!
P.S. put the cat in the next video

Haha, he’d like that! You can see him in my raw vegan Christmas video:

28 Helenelalala { 04.07.12 at 5:25 am }

[..YouTube..] pls stop sorrying about every little mistake you do or cat that moves around! You’re doing excellent already and give these data for free, take pride!

29 Helenelalala { 04.07.12 at 5:25 am }

30 Naturallyvegan011 { 05.14.12 at 6:39 am }

[..YouTube..] Hi Swayze,good video, easy to understandI love your top or dress.You look elegant.//Ann

31 Naturallyvegan011 { 05.14.12 at 6:39 am }

32 dACErOCK { 05.31.12 at 10:36 am }

[..YouTube..] You have made my transition to being vegan much easier, I was having a hard time figuring out exactly what i needed to consume daily, and you have amazing breasts btw, I want to play with your kitty.

33 dACErOCK { 05.31.12 at 10:36 am }