How to Get Enough Omega 3′s on a Raw Vegan Diet

Worried about achieving a healthy omega-6 to omega-3 ratio on a raw vegan diet? Many people are and they really shouldn’t fret. It’s so easy to get plenty of omega 3′s while keeping your omega 6 consumption to a minimum.

Check out my video below to learn how:

How to Get Enough Omega 3′s on a Raw Vegan Diet

Your Feedback?

You might have noticed that I’ve been doing quite a few videos lately. What do you think? Do you love ‘em? Is the information useful to you? Would you prefer written articles or perhaps audio only?

Please leave your comments below! :)

Go raw and be fit,

P.S. Looking to go raw so you can achieve permanent weight loss, optimal digestion, abundant energy, and optimal overall health, well-being, and longevity? Check out my how-to go raw guide + cravings-crushing program…

“How to Conquer Your Cooked Food Cravings Once and for All”

A Guide for Destroying Cravings on a Raw Food Diet

www.CookedFoodCravings.com

In How to Conquer Your Cooked Food Cravings Once and for All, you’ll learn all you need to know about going raw the RIGHT way and eradicating your cooked food cravings for good.

Click on the lick below to learn more and purchase your copy today:

===> www.CookedFoodCravings.com

1 judy { 02.06.12 at 1:03 am }

i would prefer written articles…i can read these much faster than watching a video. thanks.

2 Watzzupsport { 02.06.12 at 1:05 am }

Hey Swayze,

As you are easy on the eye to behold videos are great.
It would be good if you can include either a text synopsis of the content or a transcript, it would help when you are time challenged and just want to get the “raw” info of what you are saying.

3 Fran { 02.06.12 at 1:23 am }

First, thank you for your effort and sharing your knowledge. I used to love your site and read it regularily. But since you switched to videos, I pretty much stopped, as I am hearing impaired. Thus I have to repeatedly listen to video to get what you say and I just do not have the time for that. I am a fast reader an thus prefer to read information, it is really easer for me. But thanks again for all you do.

4 Leonie { 02.06.12 at 4:56 am }

Sorry, Swayze, I have replayed this and replayed this. I’m sure you didn’t say ‘cheese’ at around 4:12, ‘little, tiny amount of you’ve added…’ Sorry, what would do it, what are the best nuts? How many avocadoes of various sizes should I eat in one day?

Oh, and you mention ‘two large peaches’. Um, we have stone fruit for a very limited time in Oz. Replacement, please?

Thankyou for your time and trouble,
Dominus tecum
Leonie in Australia

I said “2 to 6 times the amount you would need” at around 4:12. Is that what you were referring to?

Jan Horner Reply:

No, she was identifying the point of the video that we misunderstood which nut was high in mega-3′s. We thought you said cheese-something. But we know it isn’t that.

Oh, my mistake! It must have been chia seeds, which contain about 5g per ounce.

Jan Horner Reply:

Exactly the question I had – I heard cheese-alls!!

5 Karen { 02.06.12 at 6:29 am }

Keep up with the video blogs. They are great! I get tired of reading everything under the sun. LOL

Many trusting souls are thinking eating fish is a good source of nutrition. Unless they catch their fish out in the pristine wild they should’nt count on it. Farm fish is almost devoid of nutrition because of the way they are pharmed! Better to eat the packaging.

Great blog, important topic. Thanks!

6 kathy { 02.06.12 at 8:16 am }

I prefer written articles. During work we can’t use the speakers for personal things or informational learning.

7 Norma { 02.06.12 at 8:29 am }

I love your videos. I do have one question , I don’t have a scale so could u tell me is a ounce a 1/4 cup,tablespoon, or teaspoon ? I wasn’t sure how to figure this with out a scale.

An ounce of nuts/seeds is generally a little less than 1/4 cup.

8 Lorraine { 02.06.12 at 2:01 pm }

I appreciate all the info in any format. You are doing a great job. Thank you so much for sharing with everyone.

9 Malin { 02.06.12 at 3:13 pm }

I like your videos, and articles as well! Keep up the great work! I have learned a lot here…

10 Leonie { 02.06.12 at 11:47 pm }

So, Swayze, thankyou for your reply and for your video and written blogs. I don’t know which I prefer. Clearly, if there is a misunderstanding via the video, written would be good. I do prefer to watch rather than read, however, but I’m not sure that I take it in as much as I should.
Having cleared that up (NOT! lol), would you mind telling me about avocadoes – how many you recommend of what type per day.
I do not understand (pardon my being thick) how a fruit can have fat in it unless it is fried! Please, would you be so kind as to explain?
Dominus tecum
Leonie in Australia

For most people, half of a medium/large Hass avocado (about 3 oz) is plenty for one day. The Florida avocados (aka Slim avos) are less fatty so you can eat a bit more of those.

11 John { 02.07.12 at 12:12 am }

I really enjoy your videos. I need to cut back on the almonds and sunflower seeds, keep eating the amount of fruits I’m eating and increase the romaine. I believe it would make you smile if you knew how my life has changed for the better by just doing a pretty good job of following your suggestions. Thank you!

That’s wonderful, John! I’m smiling already. :)

12 margot { 02.07.12 at 5:02 am }

Dear Swayze, I thoroughly enjoy your videos; I look forward to watching them; at day’s end teaching school I am typically not ready to read reams of paper… so gleaning information from a friendly and highly objective video clip is most welcome; I am impressed that you find the time to prepare and present these so often; I understand you are also a college student? Please continue; each one has been encouraging and informative. Kind regards, margot

Thank you so much! Actually, I graduated in 2010. Fit On Raw is my full-time job…as well as tending to my 4 furry friends’ every need. ;)

13 Jan Horner { 02.07.12 at 9:47 am }

Like everyone else, I love seeing you on video, but a written synopsis is easier when there are a lot of emails to go through. Can you do both? This is your job (he, he) Jan

14 nico { 02.07.12 at 9:23 pm }

i also prefer the written text. that is not to say i don’t enjoy watching the videos but it is much faster and easier to gleen the info (for me) by reading. also, the info seems to “stick” in my brain better if i read the article as opposed to watching the screen. in addition, you are attractive and i am easily distracted by “eye candy” . oh, by the way, i sprout my chia seeds by wrapping a cleaned red brick with a moist cloth and rub the chia onto it. it sticks to the cloth quite readily. i use a spray bottle to keep them moistened (2-3x per day). i let them go for 4-5 days and expose them to full sun the last day to increase the vitamin/chlorophyll content. keep up the good work Swayze !

15 Pankaj { 02.08.12 at 1:38 pm }

Dear Swayze, your recommendation to limit omega 6 to one ounce of nuts might reduce healthy cholesterol and testosterone production in healthy men in the long run.

From what I have read on the net, a large amount of saturated fat and unsaturated fat (omega 6 and omega 3) is required for good testosterone production. However, you are right that omega 6 to omega 3 should be at most a 3:1 ratio.

Again, the accepted healthy ratio of omega 6-omega 3 is 1:1-4:1. For most people, consuming more than 1 ounce of nuts/seeds per day will provide too much omega 6s.

If you’re concerned, a testosterone test is easy enough to get.

16 Kovács Mária { 02.09.12 at 5:48 am }

Hi Dear,
I am verry sorry, it was bad a choice of link in my email, to unsubscribe.
What to do?
Thanks a lot to solve it.

Please email me at swayze@fitonraw.com

17 PATRICIA JOHNSON { 02.11.12 at 5:38 pm }

WHAT ABOUT HEMP SEEDS? YOU DIDN’T MENTION THEM. AREN’T THEY A GOOD SOURCE OF OMEGA 3′S, ALSO. BY THE WAY, YOU ARE DOING A HECK OF A JOB EDUCATING US !! THIS TRANSLATES INTO GREAT ENCOURAGEMENT AND EMPOWERMENT ON OUR RAW LIFESTYLE JOURNEY—THANKS, SWAYZE.

Yes, hemp seeds are a great source of omega 3s as well.

Leonie Reply:

Are we supposed to eat seeds generally? We are not allowed to buy or sell hemp seeds here in Oz.
Dominus tecum
Leonie in Australia

Watzzupsport Reply:

Hey Leonie
You can get hemp seed in Oz, expensive though, chia seeds do the job and are more readily attainable

18 Leonie { 02.12.12 at 1:53 am }

Thanks, Mate, I thought you were an Aussie. Do you live in New South?

Dominus tecum
Leonie

Watzzupsport Reply:

Hey Leonie,

I am further North in SE Qld a place called Bribie Island.
Catch up on Twitter @watzzupsport or my contact page on my website
CyA Russell

19 andrea { 02.12.12 at 6:24 am }

I don’t understand why people worship Victoria Boutenko. She and her family look extremely UNHEALTHY and overweight. But my question is how does one eat that amount of fruit with an active life? Carry a crate to work? Sit with a grocery bag at a performance? I find that if I am home it is easy to be raw but having an active work and social life it is more often than not that I do not eat enough and because I am so hungry, fall off the raw wagon. :(

You have to plan ahead, that’s all. If you know you’re going to be out and about all day, bring easy-to-carry fruits with you like bananas and grapes. If you’re dining out, prepare a healthy dressing ahead of time and then order a large plain salad to go with it.

20 caroline { 02.12.12 at 9:23 am }

Victoria is curios, research-oriented and a very powerful person. Do not worry about her life and weight.

andrea Reply:

I do worry – if something has a lifelong commitment and it is not bringing health and balance to them…perhaps their research has not been successful. I am not shooting the messenger for the message but this is MY body and I would like to trust that the person who is taking the action of giving advice is giving it from personal experiences. Just as pharmaceutical reps don’t take the pills they push! (Well, maybe they do…that’s how they can do it!) But I see Robert Morse is very overweight and the Boutenkos not looking healthy and Durianrider and Freelea being rude and nasty and it does make one wonder…noone is perfect and I do take the info that seems valid, and leave the rest, but my own raw road has been so bumpy it does make me question. Isn’t it our responsibility to take full care of our own bodies – consciously? :)

21 Joan { 02.12.12 at 11:20 am }

I also prefer articles instead of videos – quicker to read and sometimes I have a hard time loading videos in this area…thanks!

22 Becky { 02.12.12 at 9:08 pm }

In general, I prefer text because it is faster to read than watching a video. BUT – I actually look forward to and really enjoy watching your videos! I guess because you keep them short and sweet, but very informative at the same time. Love the videos!

Thanks, Becky!

23 Leonie { 02.13.12 at 4:30 am }

Just trying the Basic Recipe from Joe Cross (‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ fame). It’s two cups of kale (REALLY interesting finding kale at this time of year in South Coast New South Wales! lol Finally found some beautiful specimens at a roadside honesty stall.), two cups spinach, 1/2 cucumber, four stalks of celery (now, that was interesting, too. From my miniature garden. I can definitely tell it’s contributed to the taste. A bit feral, really), two green apples and 1″ of ginger root.

One gets used to the taste. Prob. better if the celery didn’t overpower everything like a politician on the campaign trail. I hate arguing with my food. Especially when my taste buds lose.

Dominus tecum
Leonie

“I hate arguing with my food. Especially when my taste buds lose.”

Me too! That’s why I only eat raw foods that I like. I’m happy, my body is happy, my taste buds are happy…everybody wins! :)

24 Leonie { 02.13.12 at 4:19 pm }

G’day again Swayze and all you Raw Foodies out there. When I bought my juice extractor on the weekend at a garage sale, I also was given booklets with recipes. Does anyone want them, or would I possibly be repeating other’s work?

Dominus tecum
Leonie

25 Leah { 02.14.12 at 4:14 am }

Hi, I have found out I have candida after getting three colOn hydrotherapy sessions. I also have been diagnosed with type 2 bi polarity (all in the same month) I always thought I was just melancholic and depressed. Anyway how can I manage? I am not supposed to eat fruit. I want to be healthy.. Thanks

How would a colonic tell you that you have candida overgrowth? If you really suspect that you have candidiasis, I suggest getting a blood or stool test.

In any event, candida overgrowth is easily remedied, as I talk about here:

Leah Reply:

Thank you, I took the naturopaths advice after seeing volumes of white flakey stuff being washed away. I guess a second oppinion or test would be good. I have read the tests can be inaccurate. I am not overweight but perhaps do have too many fats in my diet.

26 Leonie { 02.14.12 at 4:27 am }

G’day Leah,
I’m supposed to be bi-polar, although, classically, I disagree with the diagnosis! lol
Is the no-fruit part of the candida?
I have found that my moods have not changed since going on a mostly raw diet. I know that I’m losing weight, which is great as I’m too fat.
I ran yesterday for a brief time without feeling unfit, no puffing, no racing heart.
Leah, I pray that Swayze has a solution for you. You’re in my prayers, Dear Heart.

Dominus tecum
Leonie

27 Leonie { 02.14.12 at 4:51 am }

G’day again, Leah,
Just found this from Frederic Patenaude’s website. It’s freee! And a great report, which I’ve saved to file. What I have posted is just an extract.

How to Beat Candida Understanding the Real Issue
“I’m a 100% raw vegan, currently on Gabriel Cousens’ Phase I candida cure program, religiously. I’ve had no relief at all from my candida in over a year of trying: 30 days of this raw program, then that raw program, then another raw program…”
ANSWER: The way to beat candida is simple: you have to understand that candida is an issue that comes from eating too much fat, not too much sugar. When we eat too much fat, that excess fat in the bloodstream diminishes insulin sensitivity, so that sugar isn’t carried out to the cells as fast as it should be. It accumulates in the bloodstream, feeding the candida yeast that is naturally present there. The candida then proliferates to “eat up” the excess sugar. The answer isn’t to consume less sugar, or to try to kill the candida — but to go at the root of the problem, that is, to consume less fat. Here’s some useful information on the topic from Dr. Graham’s FAQs (available at: http://www.foodnsport.com). Please note that my book “The Raw Secrets” and my course “How to End Confusion About Nutrition” also explore the problems related with excess fat consumption.
“I have candida or a yeast infection, and I’ve been told to avoid too much sugar. How can I eat so much sweet fruit when it’s full of sugar?”
“Excess fat is the culprit in candida, not sugar per se. When fat levels in the blood rise, so does blood sugar, because excess fat inhibits insulin from performing its function of escorting sugar out of the bloodstream. The excess fat lines the blood vessel walls, the cells’ insulin receptor sites, the sugar molecules themselves, and the insulin with a thin coating of fat, thus blocking and inhibiting normal metabolic activity. Too much sugar in the blood is as life-threatening as too little and can result in serious illness or death. Yeast, or candida, is a constant presence in the blood; it serves as a life preservation mechanism, blooming when there is an excess of sugar in the bloodstream to bring blood sugar down to a non-threatening level. When the sugar is distributed and used by the cells of the body, the yeast quickly dies off as it is supposed to. If fat levels stay chronically high due to a poor diet, sugar will remain in the bloodstream and feed the large candida colonies instead of feeding the 18 trillion cells of your body. Starved for fuel, these cells can no longer metabolize energy, and you become tired, and feel run down. Because all the carbohydrate, fat, and protein that we eat is converted to simple sugar (glucose) if it is to be used by the cells for fuel, the way out of this cycle is not to eat less sugar, but to consume less fat. When fat levels drop, the sugar starts to get processed and distributed again, and the yeast levels drop because there is no longer excess sugar available.”
FREDERIC: To conclude, the advice I give to people who ask me about candida is to go on a really low-fat diet for a while, avoiding all oil, nuts and avocado. The problem is generally solved within a few weeks, if not a few days. Often people have been battling with this for years and get instant relief from doing this low-fat diet. After that period, small quantities of fatty foods can be reintroduced, as explained in my book, The Raw Secrets. Personal testimony: a friend of mine came back from Cuba, where she ate only raw fruits & vegetables, along with the water of several coconuts, without any fatty foods. She did that for 6 weeks and overcame a candida issue that, in her own words, “seemed to have been eternal.”

Dominus tecum
Leonie

Excellent, thanks Leonie!

28 Leonie { 02.14.12 at 4:32 pm }

More than welcome. Hope it helps the lady.
Dominus tecum
Leonie

Leah Reply:

Thanks Leonie, I will dig deeper , I have had a huge diet overhaul in general, reducing stress by giving up stimulants, I would eat sweets over fatty food any day. I don’t eat a lot of fats but had the wrong idea over all with regards to diet.., xx
Ps I am an Aussie too

Leah Reply:

Oh and I have been researching wholistic western medicine such as culpepper and thinking more about plant remedies. I am not raw but incorporating more raw into my diet. What are we made of, what do we thrive off and how can we enjoy happy lives.

29 jammatoonarmy { 02.16.12 at 8:27 am }

[..YouTube..] :) ~ ppl keep asking me about this…but if you don’t have fish or olive oil how will get your omega 3′s and 6′s?!! ~ great stuff..as always! :)

30 jammatoonarmy { 02.16.12 at 8:27 am }

31 FitOnRaw { 02.16.12 at 8:57 am }

[..YouTube..] @jammatoonarmy Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

32 FitOnRaw { 02.16.12 at 8:57 am }

[..YouTube..] Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

33 FitOnRaw { 02.16.12 at 8:57 am }

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

34 smallbuttfirm { 02.16.12 at 12:20 pm }

[..YouTube..] Swayze,Curious. I like that your not “skinny”–you look fantastic. Did you lose weight and if so, how much? And how did you come to eating 80/10/10? Are you single? If not, how has this diet influenced or affected your relationship(s)? Oh, almost forgot–how old are you?

35 smallbuttfirm { 02.16.12 at 12:20 pm }

36 FitOnRaw { 02.16.12 at 12:59 pm }

[..YouTube..] @smallbuttfirm Thank you! I lost about 15 lbs. I came to low fat raw vegan after struggling with anemia and resulting fatigue. I’m 23. :)

37 FitOnRaw { 02.16.12 at 12:59 pm }

[..YouTube..] Thank you! I lost about 15 lbs. I came to low fat raw vegan after struggling with anemia and resulting fatigue. I’m 23. :)

38 FitOnRaw { 02.16.12 at 12:59 pm }

39 LowFatRawRecipes { 02.19.12 at 5:41 pm }

[..YouTube..] Hi Swayze! You absolutely glow! Thanks again for another great video! You are so right! Jeff Novick, MS, RD, an award winning registered dietician who works for Dr. John McDougal, says the same thing in his excellent DVD “From Oil to Nuts: The Essential Facts of Fats, Oils and Nuts”, but tailors his message to the cooked low fat vegan diet. I am delighted with each new piece of evidence that supports the efficacy of the low fat raw vegan diet. I love my fruity green diet now more than ever!

40 LowFatRawRecipes { 02.19.12 at 5:41 pm }

41 w1gross { 03.08.12 at 11:19 pm }

[..YouTube..] Good job, Swayze!!! :o)

42 w1gross { 03.08.12 at 11:19 pm }

Good job, Swayze!!! :o)

43 FitOnRaw { 03.09.12 at 8:38 am }

[..YouTube..] @w1gross :)

44 FitOnRaw { 03.09.12 at 8:38 am }

45 ilovecandy1393 { 03.24.12 at 11:39 am }

[..YouTube..] this is so wonderful! I love that you don’t suggest any supplements, because that is how it should be! Natural! I just struggle with the nature vs nurture ideology behind raw foods. So, let’s say we were all caveman, and found an avocado tree, and didn’t have the science to know that, that would be too much omega 6, but loved eating them because they were so delicious and rich, would our balances go out of whack, developing candida and such from too much fat? Or would our diets provide balance?

46 ilovecandy1393 { 03.24.12 at 11:39 am }

47 FitOnRaw { 03.24.12 at 12:01 pm }

[..YouTube..] If we had access to avocados, it would only have been for a short time during the year. So as an average over several months, fat intake would still be low.

48 FitOnRaw { 03.24.12 at 12:01 pm }

49 ilovecandy1393 { 03.24.12 at 12:07 pm }

[..YouTube..] Oh my gosh! That makes so much sense! The seasons would balance us!

50 ilovecandy1393 { 03.24.12 at 12:07 pm }

Oh my gosh! That makes so much sense! The seasons would balance us!

51 Lavidaveggie { 03.25.12 at 10:30 am }

[..YouTube..] Thanks for another wonderful video!I really like how you touched on the specific amount of nuts/seeds(1 oz) of what an average adult should be eating daily. I really had to take it step by step to becoming completely raw and at the beginning (for the first few weeks)I ate whatever I wanted to keep me satisfied, which included a lot of raw crackers, nuts & seeds During the next few weeks, my body craved less and less and six weeks later, I have to consciously incorporate them into my daily diet.

52 Lavidaveggie { 03.25.12 at 10:30 am }

53 homer1co { 03.29.12 at 1:27 pm }

[..YouTube..] What a beautiful, healthy young woman! She is much sexier that those under-nourished bean-poles you see in the media. Why have we been programmed into thinking that unhealthy is attractive. We are one sick society, figuratively and literally.

54 homer1co { 03.29.12 at 1:27 pm }

55 FitOnRaw { 03.29.12 at 1:34 pm }

[..YouTube..] “She” says thank you very much. ;)

56 FitOnRaw { 03.29.12 at 1:34 pm }

“She” says thank you very much. ;)

57 James Travis { 03.29.12 at 2:30 pm }

[..YouTube..] I think for those who are watching this who came from a full paleo diet a good medium to eat in low amounts while you transition over is fish. Not shellfish, or other dirty fish. Its light and goes through your system fast. Of course its been messed with in the name of greed like all food but i know its helping me adjust to this diet.

58 James Travis { 03.29.12 at 2:30 pm }

59 starfaery { 04.03.12 at 7:14 am }

[..YouTube..] Does dryrosting nuts, take some of the omega 6 out of them? They get more dry, and tasty that way…

60 starfaery { 04.03.12 at 7:14 am }

61 starfaery { 04.03.12 at 7:18 am }

[..YouTube..] I think we relied much more on instinct back in time. something we’ve probebly lost with the arrival of modern civlisation.

62 starfaery { 04.03.12 at 7:18 am }

63 FitOnRaw { 04.03.12 at 8:24 am }

[..YouTube..] I don’t recommend roasting. This causes nutritional damage (including omega-3′s) and forms harmful acrylamide.

64 FitOnRaw { 04.03.12 at 8:24 am }

65 mrboppman1 { 04.28.12 at 1:36 pm }

[..YouTube..] yes and i’m tire of the medias love of posing women with the predatory look of a lioness about to attack, whereas this girl is NATURAL !!

66 mrboppman1 { 04.28.12 at 1:36 pm }

67 LowFatRawRecipes { 05.07.12 at 12:11 pm }

[..YouTube..] Hi Swayze! I’m curious as to how you use chia seeds in your diet.Do you soak them and use the gel in recipes?do you sprinkle them dry on your salads?Do you blend them dry into your savoury dressings?Do you add them to fruit smoothies?Do you add them to green smoothies?All of the above? ;-)Do you eat flax seeds? If so, how do you use them? (same questions as above)Perhaps you could create a video around this topic.I’m a member of your Rawkin’ Raw Club also.

68 LowFatRawRecipes { 05.07.12 at 12:11 pm }

69 FitOnRaw { 05.07.12 at 1:58 pm }

[..YouTube..] Hey there, fellow Rawker! :) I eat both chia and flax seeds and typically use them like I do any other nut or seed: blended for a tasty salad dressing. :)

70 FitOnRaw { 05.07.12 at 1:58 pm }

71 megantherawvegan { 06.23.12 at 3:50 pm }

[..YouTube..] I think that obtaining enough omegs 3s is totally effortless. I was just eating loads of fruits and veggies and one day I was looking at cronometer and notices zucchini is significantly higher in omega 3s (and a lower omega 6 ratio). I ALWAYS get more than 100% (usually around 116%) of omegas 3 per day, and almost always keep it overt fat free :) I really feel fantastic and my blood test results are fantastic :) I hope this helps! YAY ZUCCHINI NOODLES!!!!

72 bowler180max { 07.30.12 at 11:31 pm }

you get enough omega 3, 6 when you eat bananas.

73 Campbellr71 { 12.10.12 at 1:08 pm }