A High Carb Diet for Raw Success

StrawberriesAnyone who has ever eaten a meal of raw fruit knows how intensely pleasurable this can be.

Fruit requires little to no preparation (all you need to eat a banana is opposable thumbs). It is easy to eat and digests quickly, usually in just 30 minutes.

Best of all, fruit tastes great and completely satisfies the sweet tooth in the most healthy way possible.

Just like avocado and nuts, fruit is calorically dense. However, fruit is also high in volume, like vegetables. This means that a meal of fruit both provides enough calories AND enough volume to leave you completely satiated until the next meal.

Just Fruit?!?

The idea of eating only fruit for a meal is very strange to people. Much of this confusion stems from the fact that we grow up thinking of raw fruit as a snack or part of a dessert. The idea of eating more than a couple pieces of fruit in one sitting is completely foreign to us.

As a result, people who are new to a low fat, high fruit raw food diet often under eat on calories at first.

To make the transition easier for you, here is a simple example of a sufficient fruit meal…

Fruit Meal

Let’s say you need 2000 calories a day and you like to eat 3 meals a day. If each meal is divided equally, one meal would be between 600-700 calories.

One medium banana contains about 100 calories.  In order to consume 600-700 calories in one meal from bananas alone, you would have to consume 6 to 7 bananas.

And that’s it!  It really is that simple.

Of course, if eating a meal of only one type of fruit seems much too boring to you, there are many alternatives. You can combine your favorite fruits into a nice fruit salad. A popular choice for beginners is to blend fruits into a smoothie. This is an easy way to get enough calories from fruit.

Here is a delicious smoothie you can make in just a few minutes…

Two Pears in a Peel

• 5 bananas
  • 2 pears
  • 1 cup of water

Blend ingredients together and enjoy!

There are many different combinations you can make. You can also add greens, which will add some nice variety and counterbalance some of the sweetness.

Problems with Fruit

Many raw foodists believe that fruits should be severely limited, or even eliminated, because they contain simple sugars like fructose and glucose. These simple sugars are believed to lead to such ailments as diabetes and Candida.

First, I want to clarify that the sugar in fruit does not cause sugar metabolic disorders. It is an excess of fat in the body that coats the insulin, blocking it from reaching the sugar molecules. The excess sugar in the blood leads to a high blood-sugar level.

Without the excess fat, the insulin will reach the sugar molecules and transport them out of the blood and into the cells.

Second, there is a huge difference between the simple sugars found in fruit and the simple sugars found in processed foods. These refined sugars have been removed from whole foods (i.e. fruit, sugar cane) and further processed. They no longer contain any nutritional value whatsoever.

On the contrary, the sugars in whole fruit have not been processed and are accompanied by necessary water, fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, phytonutrients, etc.

How Much Fruit?

As I discuss here and here, humans do not need very much fat NOR do they need very much protein. We’re talking 7-10% of protein (perhaps even less) and around 10% fat.
So where does that leave us regarding carbohydrates? About 80%. Around 80% of your total calories should come from fresh fruit. (This is the meaning of Dr. Douglas Graham’s 80/10/10 Diet)

Take Action

You can get started today by simply eating all fruit for your next meal. Many people prefer to wait until breakfast, as it is the easiest meal to transition.

You could also begin your next meal with as much fruit as you can eat, and then finish the meal with your regular fare.

Go raw and be fit,

P.S. Worried that fruit causes unhealthy blood sugar spikes, candidiasis, tooth decay, liver damage, and weight gain? I bust all of these myths and show you why fruit is such a healthy food in my book The Science of Eating Raw.

The Science of Eating Raw

How to Low Weight, Increase Your Energy, Prevent Disease, & Meet All of Your Nutritional Needs on a Raw Food Diet

scienceofrawM

Click Here!

I also bust through a bunch of other raw food myths, explain in detail why a low fat vegan diet is best, and even dedicate an entire chapter to showing you exactly how to meet all of your vitamin and mineral needs on a raw food diet.

To learn more and order your copy today, just follow the link below:

==> www.scienceofraw.com

Post Last Updated: 3/5/2013

1 Robert Heiner { 07.26.09 at 9:42 am }

Swayze, Another great article. I look forward to each new posting.
Your articles are well written and informative, not to mention enjoyable.
Thank you.
Regards,
Robert Heiner

Thank you so much, Robert. :)

2 rawbloke { 07.26.09 at 4:56 pm }

Great article, Swayze. It is good news that more and more are realizing that high-fat raw is not healthy, that all-raw does not mean one has to eat high fat, and that the magic of raw comes from simple eating – fruits, greens, and other veggies!

Yep, looks like more and more people are getting on board. It’s pretty cool. :)

3 Josephine { 07.26.09 at 6:31 pm }

Thanks.

4 Carol { 07.26.09 at 7:21 pm }

Swayze,

You have been very inspirational for me. I’m trying to go 100% raw, and now I’m down to only one meal a week with fish.

I wish I could eat 100% fruit! That way I wouldn’t have to struggle with how to get my green vegetables without resorting to oily dressings, blended salad concoctions ( tried ‘em, don’t like ‘em!), garlic, sea salt or pepper. I have tried simply squeezing lemon over my lettuce, spinach and cucumbers, and its barely palatable. Avocados truly make me gag. It’s surprising that I have not gone back to my old way of eating, and everyday I have hope that these leafy greens will taste better, but to no avail. Yet I soldier on. Does ANYONE have any suggestions or recipes for low fat dressings, salsas or soups ? Fillings for lettuce wraps would also be welcome!

Regards,

Carol

Hi Carol,

Do you enjoy non-sweet fruits, such as tomatoes and cucumbers? I find that many people prefer these, especially in the beginning, to greens. You can make a killer dressing of tomatoes, mango, and cilantro to pour over peeled or spiralized zucchini squash.

When I first went raw, all I ate were fruits. In fact, mostly oranges, as it was winter and I loved them. If I recall, I did not have any greens at all for at least the first month. I just didn’t want them.

Hope that helps and awesome job on the transition. :)

rawbloke Reply:

Carol, a week or so ago I saw an email going around by Roger Haeske about his Savory Stews, which touts a way to take in your greens in a very palatable way. Frederic Patenaude blogged about it here:

Perhaps this would help you? It’s worth a read!
- rawbloke (and check out my site: http://raw.la – up to the minute Raw Food News)

I bought Roger’s savory veggie stew as soon as he released it and I can’t recommend it enough for someone battling cravings and/or having trouble getting in some greens. Having a great savory recipe like this would have really saved me a lot of struggle when I first went raw.

5 Kelly { 07.26.09 at 9:56 pm }

Swayze! Thanks for a great, inspiring issue. I would love the recipe for your tomato, mango, cilantro dressing if you don’t mind sharing it! Thanks so much,
Kelly

Sure, it’s just 2 med-large tomatoes, 1 mango (I use the yellow Ataulfo variety), and 1 handful of cilantro. Put the ingredients in the blender in that order and gently pulse until you get a nice sauce-like texture.

Enjoy. :)

6 Carol { 07.27.09 at 7:03 pm }

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and please keep the recipes coming. I bought the savory stew by Roger Haeske also. I tried it, and initially I hated it. I added lots of extra cucumber, and it got only marginally better. I think all that chunky green stuff was just unappealing to my palate as well as my eyes. I even went out and bought Garam Masala, cumin, and curry powder to try his variations, but I was trying to phase out spices. All this being said, though I would rather eat dry lettuce than go back to my old way of eating, I’m realistic enough to know that if I don’t like my greens (and Swayze, I like tomatoes in salsas and dressings, but that’s about it; but I LOVE cucumbers!), eventually I may slip back into old habits. Perhaps my tastebuds will have to mature.

In the meantime, it’s great to know that I can eat just fruit all day sometimes, especially when it’s watermelon, grapes, oranges, tangerines and berry and banana or peach smoothies! And losing 45 pounds and gaining more energy are wonderful side effects!

Thanks everyone for your support.

Carol

7 Dawn { 08.05.09 at 4:52 pm }

Hey, it’s important to get your science straight whenever you advocate for something.

Bonobos only eat about 60% fruit and none of the fruit they eat are the super-sweet hybrids bred for Western palates. Other apes eat even less. The rest of the ape diet includes leaves, pith, flowers, bark, seeds, honey, fungi, eggs, and invertebrates (e.g. termites, caterpillars and earthworms). The bonobo has been observed to eat small mammals, including shrews, flying squirrels, and small antelopes such as young duikers. However, unlike the chimpanzee, the bonobo has rarely been observed to actively hunt for meat. It captures most animal prey individually and opportunistically, rather than during a group hunt. Our great ape relatives are NOT vegan.

Furthermore, we are NOT great apes and diverged from them half a million years ago. Nor should we eat like them, we are biologically and socially quite different.

All one needs to justify the way one eats (whether it is healthy or not) is personal conviction. Please don’t use scientific inaccuracies, it totally undermines your cause.

I never said that bonobos are vegan. It has been noted time and again that they eat meat on occasion, when necessary or to present as gifts to the rest of their community. However, this is not the food that they prefer or thrive on. Even mountain gorillas, if given the choice, will choose fruit over greens and bark. They can certainly live on other foods, just as humans can survive eating burgers and fries, but this is not the optimal diet.

Furthermore, I am not advocating a low fat, raw vegan diet solely based on what our primate cousins eat. We are our own species and so we must ultimately look to our own anatomy and physiology to discern our species appropriate diet. Unsurprisingly, everything from our teeth to our digestive tracts point to low fat raw vegan.

8 Heidi Krenzke { 11.11.09 at 1:54 pm }

Your article states a high carb diet with raw foods, but doesn’t state what the carbs actually are? I need to know what foods are high in carbs? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Did you read the article? It’s whole, raw, sweet fruit! :D